Where can I find eldercare training for domestic helpers?
HK Social Welfare Department eldercare training
The Hong Kong Social Welfare Department has introduced an elder care training course for domestic helpers. The teachers of this Pilot Scheme include nurses, dieticians, physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
The training will be conducted in Cantonese or English. If necessary, interpretation service in Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesian, and Thai could be arranged in classes. The training materials will also be available in Chinese, English, Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesian and Thai. The fees charged per domestic helper is HKD 200.
The training class consists of 8 core and 4 elective modules. Upon completion of training on core modules, interested domestic helpers can also enrol in the elective modules.
Core Modules (Total 12 hours)
- Assisting elderly persons with feeding and taking medicines
- Fall prevention
- First Aid
- Food hygiene and healthy meal arrangement for elderly person
- Mental health in elderly person and detection of warning signs
- Bathing and oral care for elderly persons
- Vital signs observation and skills in measuring blood pressure, body temperature and blood sugar
- Assisting elderly persons with mild mobility impairment in transferring positions
Elective Modules (Total 4 hours)
- Meal arrangement with elderly persons with dementia
- Communicating with elderly persons with dementia
- Managing behavioural and psychological problems in elderly persons with dementia
- Caring for elderly persons with stroke
More information about the modules can be found here.
Video Resources on eldercare
Social Welfare Department videos (Chinese with English, Tagalog, Bahasa and Thai subtitles)
Communication tips (English)
Handling of medication/emergency (English)
Health and safe tips (English)
Last updated on July 7th, 2023