What should agency fees typically cover?
One of the biggest complaints about employment agencies in Hong Kong is that they sneak in hidden costs throughout the process. More often than not, the price you are quoted at the start is very different from the price you end up paying. If you are not careful, you may eventually pay an exorbitant amount of agency fees for the domestic helper you want!
When choosing an employment agency, check that the following agency fees are covered in the price you are quoted:
- One basic medical examination (approx. HKD400-600)
Consulate fee (approx. HKD280-360)
Hong Kong Immigration visa fee (HKD230)
Mandatory insurance in the domestic worker’s home country (approx. HKD500)
Flight from the domestic worker’s home country to Hong Kong (HKD1000-2000, it also depends if the worker takes additional domestic flights in the country of origin)
- The general fees for the partner agency in the domestic helper’s home country.
- Transportation allowance (usually around HK$100 per day of travel from the domestic helper’s place of origin)
What are reasonable expenses for a Filipino domestic helper to pay?
An employment agency in Hong Kong can only legally charge a domestic worker up to 10% of her monthly salary as a placement fee. On top of this, she will also reasonably expected to cover:
- Any transportation fees during processing
- Their lodging fees (as needed)
- The mandatory seminar fees by Philippine authorities
- Passport fee
- Philhealth (optional)
- Pag-ibig (optional)
Fair Employment Agency does not charge any hidden fees to employers. We are completely transparent about what’s included from the start. And as part of our ethical code, we never charge fees to domestic workers. View our pricing and see which of our options is right for you to get started on the hiring process.
You might also like:
- Do I need to use an employment agency?
- How should I choose an employment agency?
- How must does it cost to hire a domestic helper?
- How long does it take to process a domestic helper visa?
Last updated on June 9th, 2021