Top tips for domestic helpers on taking care of pets
This article is written in collaboration with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), a registered charity in Hong Kong working to prevent cruelty to animals.
- Be patient – give the pets time to get used to a new person (a stranger) in their home environment.
- Don’t be too eager in approaching the pets at the beginning – give the pets time to adjust to the change.
- Check for consensus regularly – let the pet decide the length and location of the interaction.
- Pay attention to the pets’ body languages and reactions during any interaction.
- Work with the employer to understand each pet’s behavior, personality, preferences and habits.
- Make sure to get proper training – ask the employer to give you clear instructions and training on feeding and exercise to ensure consistency of care.
- Join a pet care course to learn more about proper diet, exercise and basic hygiene care, basic veterinary care, preventive medicine regimes. Find more information about the pet care course for domestic helpers.
Want more information?
- Visit the SPCA website for more information on pet care.
- Follow the SPCA to get pet care tips on Facebook and Instagram.
- Contact the SPCA at 2802 0501 or send them a message here.