How can domestic helpers extend their contracts with the same employer for 1-3 months?
If the domestic helper and employer wish to lengthen the two-year contract by a short period, the Helper should apply to the Director of Immigration for an extension of stay in Hong Kong. Such extension of stay will only be granted where there are exceptional circumstances. Extension will not normally be granted in respect of renewal of contracts. The Director of Immigration has sole discretion to determine whether an extension of stay will be granted.
An extension of more than one month will not normally be granted but the Government announced (link) on 28 Jun 2021 that they will continue to implement the previous measure to enable employers to extend the existing contracts with their outgoing helpers. For all contracts that will expire on or before Sep 30, 2021, the Commissioner for Labour has given in-principle consent for extending the employment period for a maximum period of three months.
The following documents are required:
- Completed and signed Extension of Stay Application Form for Domestic Helper from Abroad (ID 988A)
- Original copies of the current standard Employment Contract (ID407) kept by the employer and Helper with an amendment clause on such extension duly signed by both parties at the end of page 4. Sample:
- A supporting letter signed by the employer stating the reason(s) for such extension.
- Original of the Helper’s travel document (please send a copy if applying by post).
- Employer’s undertaking HERE
- HK$230 visa fee.
Who’s responsible for the visa fee?
Since a new visa is needed since both employers and workers mutually agree to defer the home leave/extend the contract by a short period, we would recommend paying or sharing the visa fee with your worker as a gesture of good will.
You may also like:
- Coronavirus updates affecting domestic helpers
- Quick guide for Employers of Domestic Helpers
- Signup for the Fair Bulletin: Monthly newsletter from Fair Agency
- Follow us on: Facebook and Instagram
Ready to get hiring? View Services
If you found this article helpful, please consider donating today.
Fair Employment Agency is a nonprofit agency. We put a lot of work into producing high quality, accurate and updated information resources because when employers and domestic helpers are informed, they are empowered to make good choices.
If you found this article helpful, please consider donating to support us through Fair Employment Foundation, a registered section 88 charity in Hong Kong, which builds social businesses (like us!) to make migrant recruitment fair to workers & fair to employers.
Click HERE for all donation methods.
Last updated on August 31st, 2021